|A do in a day cycle route. A 17 mile round trip
that starts in Egremont.
A ride of varied scenery, from the spectacular sandstone cliffs
of St Bees to the quiet lanes and cycle paths on historic railway
lines inland. On traffic-free path (or greenway) and quiet
roads. Some very narrow lanes. Cycle hire: Hire you bikes from
Area: Western Lake District
Distance: 17 miles/27.2 km
Start/End: Egremont T.I.C
1. From the TIC TL and follow main road (sign to Barrow). Join
Hadrian's Cycleway (72) out of Egremont, then TR onto the greenway
beside the main road into Thornhill.
2. Follow signs to go through Thornhill and through a narrow
path between some garages then TL on greenway.
3. TR at road, go down hill (leaving Hadrian's Cycleway). Take
first L after bridge to Braystones.
4. TR at Braystones and follow a very narrow road with banks
covered in wildflowers in the summer (there is very little traffic,
but listen out for cars especially on bends) to Nethertown and
continue to St Bees, TL at the T jct for the village centre.
5. To get to the beach and cliffs continue through the village
and then TL after the level crossing (sign to The Shore). Retrace
your route back into the village.
6. Take the first L after the level crossing, into a small road
(not signed) just past the Albert Hotel. Follow this quiet road
with lovely views across the valley as you gently climb up through
7. Look for the access point onto the greenway on your L. Join
the greenway, then TR under the A595.
8. Stay on the greenway for 1 mile (1.6 km) past Moor Row. Where
the greenway forks, TR following Hadrian's Cycleway (72), continuing
along the greenway and then along quiet roads through Woodend
and past Clints Quarry.
9. TL over bridge and follow Hadrian's Cycleway (72) on the greenway
around the back of the houses. TL at road then TR before roundabout
and follow Hadrian's Cycleway (72) round near the river and back
to the centre of Egremont.
For map click here.